Getting to SFO by Bicycle
To gain access to the airport via bicycle, BART and SamTrans offer a convenient bike/transit option that is safe and environmentally friendly. Bicyclists choosing to access the airport via the roadways must comply with applicable California Vehicle Code (CVC) Laws related to Bicycle Use. Bicycles are prohibited from operating on the main inbound and outbound airport roadways (R1), however, North and South McDonnell Road offer good bicycle access with a marked route into the airport beginning at San Bruno Avenue from the north, and Millbrae Avenue from the south. In the interest of public safety, bicycle riding is also prohibited on the AirTrain system and inside terminal buildings and garages. (SFPD, Airport Bureau Law Enforcement, members excepted during the course of their official duties).
Traveling with your bicycle? Learn about SFO's Bicycle Assembly Stations
Purchase airline approved boxes for transporting bicycles at the Airport Travel Agency which is located in the International Terminal, Main Hall Pre-Security. Its hours of operation are 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. daily and its phone number is 650.877.0422.
SFO's bicycle assembly stations provide a convenient place to disassemble or assemble your bike before or after a flight. Bicycle assembly stations are located at the bicycle parking areas in International Terminal Courtyards A and G, and the Rental Car Center (Level 1).
A bicycle assembly station and bicycle tools are also available at:
Airport Travel Agency
International Terminal Main Hall near the Security Checkpoint for the G Gates
Hours: 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., daily
Leaving your bicycle at the Airport? Learn about SFO's Bicycle Parking
SFO offers five courtesy bicycle parking areas at the airport. Passengers and airport employees may utilize courtesy bicycle racks located at:
- Valet Parking (Domestic Garage, Level 4)
- Courtyard A (International Terminal, Level 1)
- Courtyard G (International Terminal, Level 1)
- SFO Rental Car Center (Level 1)
- Westfield Garage
Bicycles may be parked for up to 14 days. However, bicycles parked for more than 24 hours must be registered:
- Bicycles parked in Valet Parking for more than 24 hours must be registered with the Valet Parking Agent.
- Bicycles parked in Courtyard A or G for more than 24 hours must be registered with the on-duty security guard.
- Bicycles parked at the Rental Car Center or Westfield Garage for more than 24 hours must be registered by calling 650.821.7922.
Bicycles not parked in the designated bicycle parking areas or unregistered bicycles parked for more than 24 hours may be removed and disposed of according to applicable law.
- All bicycles must be secured to the rack at all times when unattended by the owner. While the bicycle rack locations are under general surveillance, persons leaving property in these areas do so at their own risk.
- The airport is not responsible for damage to or theft or loss of bicycles or any articles left at bicycle rack areas.
- Bicycle parking is restricted to 24 hours. Bicycles may be parked for up to 14 days if registered with the airport. Bicycles left for periods exceeding these time limits will be removed and disposed of according to applicable law.
- Locks left on the rack will also be removed and disposed of.
- There is currently no charge for bicycle parking; however, the airport reserves the right to implement a fee upon 30-days notice.
- Adherence to all posted rules is mandatory.